Monday, April 11, 2011

Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival – Last Ditch Hope

By Luxo-D

For quite some time, it has been a goal to ride in the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival. But for reasons of bad luck, I have not gotten in. Until now...

The Cheq Fat Tire is a grueling 40 mile hill laden mountain bike race on the American Birkenbiener Trail, in beautiful Cable/Hayward, Wisconsin every September. With limited space and over 15oo participants, the event organizers must use a lottery system to choose the riders for for the big day. As you can imagine, with limited space, the spots are indeed coveted. Like everyone else, I mailed my entry and fee, and took my chances to be picked from obscurity, to be selected to the ride this awesome bike race... I wasn't.

Now what? After 4 years of not getting in, what were my choices. Sit at home again. Well not so fast! It had come to my attention, that there may be one more option, one last desperate chance to get into this incredible cycling event... a letter. For those, that had the unfortunate luck NOT to be chosen, the event organizers had another chance for an enthusiastic rider to give it a shot. The official "Please Let Me In." Cheq Fat tire Essay Contest! Though tightly limited, and purely at the discretion of the organizers good will – this was a chance for any hopeful participant to plead their pathetic case, why HE or SHE should get to ride in this great race.

So...like any caged animal, I did exactly that, write an essay, why yours truly was worthy to ride. A literary last ditch do or die situation, in the only way I know I could. Like the eternal optimist I am on occasion, I hoped this was just the right stuff to stand out. Much to my surprise, I was quite shocked when the Head Man of the show e-mailed me a message with this simple announcement...

"Snatched from the jaws of defeat!" Your essay has been chosen...we'll save you a spot in the race!

A virtual Stroker-Ace of the pen indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment